Plus many other languages, too numerous to list.
How to try one of our hiking events
You can only sign up for our events via Meetup:
- First, you need to set up your own Meetup login if you don’t have one already. Anyone age 18 or over can set up a Meetup login free of charge. Meetup is not connected with Facebook or Google but if you already have a Facebook or Google login, you can use this to set up a Meetup login quickly with just a few mouse clicks. Then, you can use your existing Facebook or Google user name and password to log in to Meetup.
- If you don’t already have a Facebook or Google login of if you prefer a separate Meetup login, you can set up a new Meetup login by entering your user name, email address and password.
- Log in to Meetup and find the South Herts Hikers Meetup Group
- Click the Join Us button on the Meetup Group. You then immediately become a prospective member of South Herts Hikers (see below). There is no charge to join but we invite a £2 per day donation for each event that you attend.
- Find an event that you would like to attend and click Attend. For most events, you can add one guest.
- If all spaces are full, you can join a waiting list and you will be notified automatically if a space becomes available.
- If you change your mind about an event, please change your RSVP to ‘No’ on Meetup, so that someone else can take your place and it doesn’t count as your first event.
Types of membership
These membership categories define who is included on the list of current members.
If you join the South Herts Hikers Group on Meetup, you are a prospective member until you attend an event. You receive notifications of forthcoming events via Meetup and you can register for events.
You become a temporary member if you attend your first event as a prospective member or as a guest (if the event details allow guests). To become a temporary member, you also need to give your name and address and current unique Meetup member ID at your first event. We also invite a £2 per day donation for each event that you attend.
Temporary membership is valid for two events or until the end of the current half year (30th June or 31st December) whichever comes first. If you only attend one event in the current half year, temporary membership lapses at the end of the half year and you go back to prospective member category. If you attend a second event after your temporary membership has lapsed, your temporary membership will be renewed until the end of the current half year.
After attending at least two events as a temporary member, you may be offered annual membership (see below). There is currently no additional fee for annual membership. You don’t need to apply for annual membership as you will be considered for possible annual membership if you have attended and successfully completed two or more events and if you have met at least one of the organizers. The organizers may either:
(i) offer full annual membership.
(ii) offer restricted annual membership (see below)
(iii) not offer any annual membership
The above decision will be based on an assessment of whether in the opinion of the organizers, you fulfil the criteria for annual membership (see below). It should be noted that the Meetup Terms of Service Overview currently state, “Organizers may establish membership criteria for their own Meetup groups. While there is probably a Meetup group out there for everyone, not every Meetup group is for you.”
A Meetup Help Page also states,
Organizers essentially own and operate their Meetup Groups. They often establish membership policies or ground rules for participation, and are responsible for moderating the content on their Meetup Group pages. (Organizers may also remove members at their own discretion.)
Our membership criteria are as follows:
- Membership is open to anyone aged 18 or more who has an interest in hiking, regardless of sex, age, disability, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, religion or other beliefs, provided they fulfil the following criteria:
- Being friendly towards all other Group members, treating other members with respect and as equals.
- Avoiding any conduct likely to discourage any other member from participating in future Group events or from organising future group events. In particular, this group is a “Grump Free Zone” especially on Group weekends away!
The Group Organisers reserve the right to exercise their discretion as permitted by Meetup Inc. (see above) in the following ways:
- decline to offer annual membership or decline to offer renewal of annual membership at the end of the calendar year
- restrict membership, e.g. to day hikes only, not weekends away.
- refuse, expel or suspend any person from membership of the Group
If the Group organizers offer annual membership, you will be notified by a personal message sent via Meetup.
In the unlikely event that the Group organizers decide not to offer annual membership or not to renew an existing annual membership, you will also be notified by a personal message sent via Meetup and you will not be eligible to attend further events. You will also be removed from the South Herts Hikers Meetup Group.
- The Group’s membership year runs from 1st Jan to 31st Dec. The group is run on a not-for-profit basis. Event fees contribute towards Meetup organizer subscriptions, web hosting costs, Internet domain name registration, affiliation costs etc.
Page last updated 22 July 2019